Game Programming

Visit Base Classics - Gaming Chairs

game programming
Game Programming :: Programming :: For Beginners :: For Beginners FAQ - View Topic
Topic Rating: *****
Printable View
Andy
Administrator

For Beginners FAQ (11th Jan 08 at 12:36am UTC)
So you have decided you want to learn to program so now is the big question witch language would you like to use and learn i have put together a list for you to get started

Programming Tutorials

C++
Game Tutorials
C++ Tutorials
CPP Home
Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days,
Second Edition

C
C Programming

Visual Basic
Karl Moore's Visual Basic Tutorials
Visual Basic Tutorial

Java
Java programming
Java Tutorials

What is an API (Application Programming Interface)?
Here is a detailed description of API

if you're looking for API specific tutorials, here are some of the most common to help get you started.

Win32
www.relisoft.com/win32
www.winprog.org/tutorial
www.catch22.org.uk/tuts

OpenGL
www.opengl.org
www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/OpenGL/OpenGL_Pg1.htm

DirectX
www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article608.asp
http://nexe.gamedev.net/tutorials/main%20series.asp

Allegro
http://www.rit.edu/~jpw9607/allegtut
http://alleg.sourceforge.net/docs.html
www.allegro.cc/resource/index.php?id=18&request=1079392253&

SDL
http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/index
www.libsdl.org/index.php
www.pygame.org (for Python users)

Ok I have learned the basics of my preferred programming language, what next?
Make a game. Common suggestions for a first game are:

.Text based Rogue-like (roguelikedevelopment.org/development to find out more)
.Text based Tic Tac Toe
.Text based Magic 8-Ball
.Tetris
.Pong
.Breakout

Free IDEs

C/C++
.www.bloodshed.net
.www.delorie.com/djgpp/
.www.codeblocks.org/
.www.microsoft.com

Asking questions
(Adhere to the following guidelines as much as possible and realize that not following them could lead to the deletion of your post.)

1.Before you post, please think to yourself "did I explore every option in trying to figure this out for myself ", its understood that 5 or 6 hours of continuous programming can give you a mental block but please don't ask questions that you could easily answer yourself with a quick Google search or a skim over the reference section.

2.Programmers Den has different bords for different subjects; put your question in the most relevant bord.

3.Don't cross post. Keep your question to one bord only.

4.Be as descriptive as you can. State the language, platform, compiler etc that you are using, according to relevancy.

5.Make your question as understandable as possible and go easy on the abbreviations and Internet slang. Remember, if you ask a clear and concise question, you will be more inclined to get a clear and concise answer.

6.Try to make your subject title as relevant as possible.

7.Browse before you ask. Check the last few pages or use the search feature to see if your question has been answered before.

8.The infamous "this" vs. "that" threads are considered flame bait. If you're debating between OpenGL and DirectX or C vs. C++, please try to refrain from creating "which one should I choose" or "which one is better" threads. These threads usually turn into an argument and rarely lead to any kind of conclusion. The best way to find out if something is right for you, is to try it for yourself or at the very least, spend some time researching the pros and cons.

Answering Questions

1.Don't flame people because of their lack of knowledge. Remember, we all had to start somewhere.

2.Don't answer questions that you don't know the answer to. When you're a beginner, there is nothing worse than bad information so please know what you're saying before you say it
 Printable View